Sunday, February 12, 2012

Where Is Abe Lincoln When You Need Him?


Greetings,
            First, a correction to yesterday’s message:  my addled brain used one of my old Troop numbers instead of correctly referring to Troop 307 at the Catonsville United Methodist Church.
            Now, to celebrate and HOPE.

            As we recall and celebrate Abraham Lincoln’s birthday today, it would be most appropriate to reread the “Gettysburg Address” and his “Second Inaugural Address” and to consider the following quotations from Lincoln:

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.
I can see how it might be possible for a man to look down upon the earth and be an atheist, but I cannot conceive how he could look up into the heavens and say there is not God.
To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.
I have but to say, the Bible is the best gift God had given to man.  All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this book.  But for it we could not know right from wrong.  All things most desirable for man’s welfare, here and hereafter, are to be found portrayed in it.
I recognize the sublime truth announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history that
those nations only are blest whose God is the Lord.
I have been driven many times to my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go.  My own wisdom, and that of all about me, seemed insufficient for the day.
Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith let us to the end dare to do our duty as we understand it.


            Lincoln plus 41 years brought us Teddy Roosevelt plus 34 years brought us Franklin Roosevelt.
 
O Lord, we really are ready and waiting.  Amen.

Yours & His,
DED

No comments:

Post a Comment