Thursday, May 24, 2012

Aldersgate Day


Greetings,
      John Wesley, with his brother Charles, attended Oxford University and while there they formed the Oxford Holy Club.  Both brothers were ordained into the priesthood of the Church of England, both went to the colony of Georgia as missionaries and both returned to England, disappointed with their experience in the colony, to lead effective ministries.  Yet both were still struggling with their inner spirituality.  On Pentecost Sunday, May 21, 1738, Charles was ill at home with pleurisy when he heard someone come into his room and say, “In the Name of Jesus of Nazareth arise and believe, and thou shout be healed of all thy infirmities.”  He felt “a strange palpitation of heart,” and said “I believe, I believe.”  Fortified by this wonderful sequence of events, Charles “found myself at peace with God, and rejoicing in hope of Christ.”  That night he began to write a hymn, Where Shall My Wondering Soul Begin, expressing his faith, which he finished on the 23rd.

Charles Wesley’s journal for Tuesday, May 23, 1738, where he speaks of his experience on Whitsunday (the English title for Pentecost), two days earlier, an experience which seems to have released his power of evangelical verse, says:
At nine, I be­gan an hymn up­on my con­ver­sion, but I was per­suad­ed to break off for fear of pride. Mr. Bray, com­ing en­cour­aged me to pro­ceed in spite of Sa­tan. I prayed Christ to stand by me, and fin­ished the hymn. Upon my af­ter­wards show­ing it to Mr. Bray, the de­vil threw in a fiery dart, sug­gest­ing that it was wrong, and I had dis­pleased God. My heart sunk with­in me; when, cast­ing my eye up­on a Pray­er-book, I met with an an­swer for him. “Why boast­est thou thy­self, thou ty­rant, that thou canst do mis­chief?” Up­on this, I clear­ly dis­cerned it was a de­vice of the en­e­my to keep back glo­ry from God.  ...In his name, therefore, and through his strength, I will perform my vows unto the Lord, of not hiding His righteousness within my heart.  [See the Journal of Charles Wesley, 1:94-95; with this last phrase cf. lines 17-18 of the hymn.]
           
      On May 24, 1738, John Wesley wrote in his journal that he went to a prayer meeting in Aldersgate Street, “where one was reading Luther’s preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About a quarter before nine, while he was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed.  I felt I did trust in Christ, Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and save me from the law of sin and death.”  

      Charles Wesley later wrote of that night: “Towards ten, my brother was brought in triumph by a troop of our friends and declared, ‘I believe.’  We sang the hymn [Charles wrote at his conversion] with great joy, and parted with prayer.”

      The hymn Glory to God, and Praise and Love, which has 18 stanzas, and which we know as the hymn which begins with stanza 7, O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing, was written by Charles Wesley in 1739 to commemorate his conversion on May 21st, the year earlier.  It was published with the title For the Anniversary Day of One’s Conversion.  Traditionally O For a Thousand Tongues to Sing has been the opening hymn in Methodist hymnals throughout the world since 1780. 

Yours & His,
DED

No comments:

Post a Comment