Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Hospitality of God


Greetings,
In Lent we were aware of the hospitality of God though our willing sacrifices.  In the Easter season we are aware of the hospitality of God through the abundance of the Easter feast.   Always, the hospitality of God comes through the Body of Christ.

I will extol you, O LORD, for you have drawn me up,
and did not let my foes rejoice over me.
O LORD my God, I cried to you for help,
and you have healed me.
O LORD, you brought up my soul from Sheol,
restored me to life from among those gone down to the pit.
                                                                                                                                       Psalm 30:1-3

a man who had fallen among thieves
lay by the roadside on his back
dressed in fifteenth rate ideas
wearing a round jeer for a hat

fate per a somewhat more than less
emancipated evening
had in return for consciousness
endowed him with a changeless grin

were on a dozen staunch and leal
citizens did graze at pause
then fired by hypercivic zeal
sought newer pastures or because

swaddled with a frozen brook
of pinkest vomit out of eyes
which noticed nobody he looked
as if he did not care to rise

one hand did nothing on the vest
its wideflung friend clenched weakly dirt
while the mute trouserfly confessed
a button solemnly inert

brushing from whom the stiffened puke
I put him all into my arms
and staggered banged with terror through
a million billion trillion stars
                                                                                                            e. e. cummings


I saw a stranger today.
I put food for him in the eating-place,
And drink in the drinking-place,
And music in the listening-place.
In the Holy Name of the Trinity
He blessed myself and my house,
My goods and my family.

And the lark said in her warble,
Often, often, often
Goes Christ in the stranger’s guise
O, oft and oft and oft,
Goes Christ in the stranger’s guise.
                                                                                                            Irish rune

Nowhere does the Torah say, Invite your guest to pray;
but it does tell us to offer a guest food, drink and a bed.
                                                                                                            Jewish proverb

And finally, these words from our old friend the other Berrigan brother.

Christ, fowler of street and hedgerow
of cripples and the distempered old
—eyes blind as woodknots,
tongues tight as immigrants—
takes in his gospel net
all the hue and cry of existence.

Heave, of such imperfection,
wary, ravaged, wild?

Yes.  Compel them in.
                                                                                                Daniel Berrigan

Yours & His,
DED

No comments:

Post a Comment